The International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) is the Mathematics Competition for High School students and is held annually in a different countries by the IMO Foundation.
Conducted at two levels, the SOF International Mathematics Olympiad looks is best prepared with math Olympiad sample questions. It looks like the below:
Level 1: The respective schools of the participants hold this test.
- Comprising 35 objective-type (Multiple Choice) questions for class 1 to class 4 and 50 objective-type (Multiple Choice) questions for class 5 to class 12, the level 1 competition is an objective-type test of 60 minutes duration.
There are four sections:
- Section-1: Logical Reasoning
- Section-2: Mathematical Reasoning
- Section-3: Everyday Mathematics
- Section-4:Achievers Section
- There are separate question papers for each class.
- The medium is English.
- Setting of the test papers is done with CBSE, ICSE/ISC and State Board syllabi.
- The exam is conducted during school hours.
Level 2: This test is conducted for students of class 3 to class 12. The second round includes the following:
- Zone wise top 25 rank holders class wise.
- Class wise top 5% of candidates who appeared for the 1st level exam.
- Topper of the class where at least 10 students from a class appear in the exam & scores 50%.
Know the Syllabus:
Don’t prepare a topic not covered under the syllabus. To name a few – questions will come from arithmetic of integers, geometry, quadratic equations and expressions, trigonometry, coordinate geometry etc. Practice math Olympiad sample questions thoroughly.
Understand the Level:
Each concept has to be understood with a higher level of theoretical and practical knowledge. Research is important
Use Time as a Tool
Go to sites that offer practice tests, share information on how to solve difficult math problems or discuss the level of questions.
Stick to a Schedule
Start your preparation well in time. To practice all the Olympiad topics thoroughly, divide your time and develop a time table.
Practice makes Perfect
Stick to the schedule prepared. Cover the backlogs as quickly and efficiently as possible or readjust your time table.
Online Tests are Important
Practice, practice and continue to practice math Olympiad sample questions.
Certain topics and questions are going to be problematic. Make a note of them. Ask your teacher and she/he will help you to excel in those.
Share a cup of hot chocolate with your parents and learn to relax, take deep breaths or go for a walk. It’s just another exam.